The Office of the Provost is pleased to solicit nominations from members of the Main Campus tenure-line faculty for its 2017 Faculty Research Awards. Two different awards are available:
Career Research Achievement: Honors the contributions of a scholar to her/his field over the course of a career. The basis of this award is the standing which the faculty member enjoys in his or her scholarly discipline. Nominations should be accompanied by evidence that the nominees' work is recognized as distinguished and influential well beyond the Georgetown community. Moreover, nominees should be at a stage in their career appropriate for an assessment of long term contributions and influence. Normally, only one of these awards will be made each year and this prize can be received once by any single individual.
Distinguished Achievement in Research: Recognizes a single distinguished achievement in scholarship and research. We do not wish to impose excessive limits on the kinds of achievements suitable for recognition. However, the types of achievement envisaged include the winning of a prestigious book prize, the receipt of distinguished awards from one's peers, or the receipt of a major center grant. It is expected that such achievements will be relatively recent, certainly within the last five years. Junior as well as senior faculty may be nominated for this award. A maximum of one award per year will be made. If circumstances warrant, this award can be received more than once.
Nominations made to either program remain active for three years (or two beyond the year in which the nomination is made) unless the individual is selected for an award in a given year.
Each recipient will receive a $10,000 cash prize, an award, and presentation and recognition at a University-wide Ceremony in the Fall. The most valuable prize, however, will be the recognition of achievement awarded by colleagues.
Eligibility: only Main Campus tenure-line faculty may be nominated for either award.
Nomination process: Ordinary members of the Main Campus faculty should submit their nominations for either award to the Office of the Provost via firstname.lastname@example.org.
In addition to the on-line application, nominating officials/departments also should provide a letter of nomination, a current version of the candidate's vita, up to two additional letters from prominent scholars in the field of the candidate, and scholarly materials sufficient to allow evaluation of her/his merits. Nominators and supporting letters should explain the significance of awards or honors that the candidate has received. Occasionally more than one member in a department or unit is eligible and can be nominated. All of the internally produced material can be uploaded directly to the system as separate documents; hard copy materials such as books or journals can be submitted directly to the Vice Provost for Research. Supporting materials from other individuals or institutions also may be submitted to email@example.com.
Review process: Recipients of both awards will be selected by the Faculty Research Awards Committee. The Committee has the option of declining to make either or both of the awards in a given year if, in its judgment, no nomination is sufficiently compelling.
Deadline: Friday, February 24, 2017
2016 Recipients of the Faculty Research Awards
Career Achievement in Research: Christian Wolf, Professor, Department of Chemistry
Distinguished Achievement in Research: Jong-In Hahm, Associate Professor, Department of Chemistry
Previous Award Recipients
- 2015: Career Achievement Award - Maxine Weinstein / Distinguished Achievement in Research Award - Joanne Rappaport and John Tutino
- 2014: Career Achievement Award - Heidi Byrnes and John Esposito / Distinguished Achievement in Research Award - Carolyn Forché
- 2013: Career Achievement Award - Robert J. Lieber / Distinguished Achievement in Research Award - Carol Benedict
- 2012: Career Achievement in Research - Nancy Bernkopf Tucker / Distinguished Achievement in Research Award John R. McNeill
- 2011: Career Achievement in Research – Miklos Kertesz / Distinguished Achievement in Research Award – Victor Cha
- 2010: Career Achievement in Research - Roger Chickering / Distinguished Achievement in Research Award - Timothy Beach
- 2009: Distinguished Research Achievement Award - Dana Luciano
- 2008: Nothing Awarded
- 2007: Career Research Achievement – Joseph H. Neale / Distinguished Achievement in Research – James Freericks and Michael Kazin
- 2006: Career Research Achievement – Michael T. Pope
- 2005: Career Research Achievement – Robert M. Veatch / Distinguished Achievement in Research – Sandra L. Calvert
- 2004: Career Research Achievement – Darlene V. Howard / Distinguished Achievement in Research – Ariel Glucklich
- 2003: Career Research Achievement – Tom L. Beauchamp and Irfan Shahid / Distinguished Achievement in Research – John McNeill
- 2002: Career Research Achievement - Ralph W. Fasold and Richard Weiss / Distinguished Achievement in Research – G. Ronald Murphy, S.J.