Transferring an Award

Sponsored program agreements are awarded to the institution and not to the individual. If you are
transferring a sponsored agreement from another institution to Georgetown University or, if you are
leaving Georgetown University and intend to transfer a sponsored agreement to another institution,
please contact the Office of Research Services (ORS) as soon as possible for assistance.

Remember when transferring a sponsored agreement to Georgetown:

  • The awardee (previous) institution must agree to relinquish the sponsored agreement before it can be transferred;
  • A new application must be submitted to the sponsor from Georgetown University that includes all GU applicable rates.

When transferring a sponsored agreement from Georgetown to a new institution:

  • Obtain approval of the Department Chair;
  • Notify the sponsor that the transfer is anticipated (ORS must sign this letter of notification);
  • File all technical reports;
  • Notify the Sponsored Accounting Office so that the financial reports can be prepared and unexpended balances or overdrafts can be handled appropriately;
  • Report all property to be transferred to Property Accounting. If equipment is simply being moved to or absorbed by another department, let Property Accounting know this as well.

ORS is available to assist with the transfer activities. Please contact ORS as early as possible if
transferring to another institution.