Arrival on Campus for Visiting Researchers
Upon arrival on the Georgetown University campus, Visiting Researchers must meet and check in with several university departments.
1. International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) (international researchers only)
Non-U.S Researchers must attend orientation on Tuesdays from 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. with ISSS or meet with Ms. Sandra Layton, Associate Director of ISSS, as soon as possible after arriving.
In order for Visiting Researchers in J-1 visa status to remain legally in the United States, Georgetown’s Office of Global Services must confirm their arrival with the U.S. Immigration and Nationalization Service (INS) within 30 days of entry to the United States.
2. Your Department / Program
Check in with your program to confirm that you have arrived.
While each department has its own procedures, this is where you will complete your registration in the program as well as pay the first semester’s fee. The following documentation will likely be needed, but check with your department contact first:
- Completed Local Contact Information Form
- Copy of your Visiting Researcher letter from the Office of the Provost
- Copy of your original application materials
- Copy of documents issued to you by ISSS (international researchers only)
- Payment for the first semester of your stay.
- Acceptable forms of payment are 1) cash (exact change) or 2) check (exact amount).
Once you have registered, your sponsoring department’s staff will enter your information into the university’s official system.
Finally, you will receive at your email address (the one provided on your application form) instructions about how to complete certain agreements and tasks. Once you’ve completed these tasks, the university system will issue your NetID account for university email and access to online services. A GOCard will also be prepared after you’ve completed your tasks. GOCards should be picked up at the service desk in the Leavey Center Bookstore by presenting the credentials provided to you.